credit to the rightful owner

Saturday, August 15, 2026

Becoming a German - Going for a Walk


Another habit I have acquired since coming to Germany is enjoying a walk. I suppose it makes sense. Walking is healthy, getting the clean fresh air and it is free. Berlin is actually a very nice city. Despite being the capital city, it has a lot of greens and lakes. All these are public spaces and can be enjoyed by anyone.  We always joke that if it was Malaysia, greedy developers would have bought the prime spaces and build buildings only those who can afford the hefty price tags can enjoy. This is one of the beauty of Germany.

Near my house which is within walking distance, there is a UNESCO park and lakes. Dominic and I had our usual routine walk which we passed the views in the pictures shown below.  Walking along the lake always feels calm.  The scenery is different in different seasons. You will not be bored. The loop is about 4500 steps and takes 40 mins to complete. We tried to walk this loop everyday. On days when we have more time and nice weather we walk further to the UNESCO park and it easily takes 2 hours.





So when I don't know what to do and the weather is nice, I go for a walk. Even in winter when it is cold, I go for a walk as long as it dry and sunny.



No comments: