Becoming a German - Jaywalking
German is famous for not jaywalking. I am becoming a German. I don't jaywalk and if I see someone doing it especially on busy road, I tell myself why you risk your life unnecessary..haha..
After living and driving for 7 years in Germany, I understand why jaywalking is dangerous. The road system is very different. Cars and pedestrians and cyclists have different traffic lights. Yes...3 sets of traffic lights for each direction! Even if the traffic light is green for cars, it doesn't mean you can go without watching out. The pedestrians and cyclists are also green and they have higher priority than the car. I know - very complicated.
You see no car in sight and jaywalk. Suddenly a car or cyclist come from nowhere. Why risk it just to be a few seconds faster.
However, this does not apply in Malaysia or most part of Asia. I will be waiting for the cows to come home if I wait for the pedestrian lights to turn green.
No comments:
Post a Comment